Eric C. Lefebvre
Eric Lefebvre’s litigation practice involves a broad range of civil and commercial litigation matters, including banking, corporate disputes, class actions, competition law, construction law, commercial contracts and civil liability. He has particular expertise in urgent remedies such as seizures and injunctions of various kinds.
He is fluently bilingual in English and French, and completely at ease conducting trial or appellate advocacy in either language.
Mr. Lefebvre represents clients before the Quebec and federal courts as well as before regulatory bodies such as the Competition Tribunal. He also acts in investigations by the Competition Bureau and in class actions in banking law, consumer law and pharmaceutical liability. In addition, he acts in commercial and international arbitration proceedings.
LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1995
B.Adm., University of Ottawa, 1992
Canadian Securities Course, Canadian Securities Institute
Selected client work
- Lead litigation counsel to Groupe Westco Inc. in defending the refusal to deal application filed in 2008 by Nadeau Poultry Farms Ltd. before the Competition Tribunal, the most significant proceeding currently before the Tribunal
- Lead litigation counsel to Ventilex Inc. in defending bid-rigging accusations in December 2010
- Lead litigation counsel to a major construction industry participant in an investigation by the Permanent Anti-Corruption Unit (UPAC), which is composed of investigators from the Quebec provincial police force, the City of Montréal police department, the RCMP and the Competition Bureau
- Lead litigation counsel to a prominent participant in the shipping industry with regard to an ongoing investigation conducted by the Competition Bureau into allegations of an international price-fixing cartel
- Litigation counsel to Petro-Canada in defence of a motion for authorization to institute a class action arising from allegations of a price-fixing conspiracy related to the retail sale of certain petroleum products in the province of Quebec
- Counsel to RONA Inc. in its successful application before the Competition Tribunal under Section 106 of the Competition Act to set aside a consent agreement between the commissioner of competition and RONA Inc. regarding the divestiture of a “big box” Réno-Dépôt store in Sherbrooke, Quebec
- Counsel to Domtar Inc. in the investigation of allegations of a price-fixing conspiracy in the fine papers distribution business in Canada, and litigation counsel to Domtar Inc. in defence of a motion for authorization to institute a class action in the province of Quebec based on similar allegations
- Counsel to Cheminova S.A. on the Canadian aspects of the international price-fixing cartel investigation regarding potassium sorbates
Memberships and activities