Charles E. Hurdon
Charles Hurdon practises employment and labour law exclusively, advising and representing employers in both federal and provincial jurisdictions. He has extensive experience in representing and advising employers in matters relating to executive employment agreements, executive compensation and executive terminations. Mr. Hurdon regularly appears before grievance arbitrators, labour boards, other administrative tribunals and the courts.
Other areas of practice include occupational health and safety, where he assists employers in developing health and safety programs and provides advice and representation in prosecutions under the Canada Labour Code and the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Mr. Hurdon is Ottawa Chair of our employment and labour law group.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1986
B.A.(Hons.), University of Ottawa, 1983
- “Seniority: Can You Take it With You When You’re Transferred?” “Getting Harassment Investigations Right,” “Cellphone Use, Parking Records and Hand Prints: New Frontiers of Employee Monitoring,” “Carelessness, Negligence and Incompetence at Work: Appropriate Employer Responses,” The 2012 Ontario Labour Law Review, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 14, 2012.
- “The 2011 Ontario Labour Law Review,” Accommodation and Human Rights Update, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 18, 2011.
- “Health and Safety Conference” (chair), Lancaster House, Toronto, October 12, 2011.
- “Accommodation Update,” The 2011 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, March 9, 2011.
- “Cross Canada Employment Law Check Up - Ontario,” CACE 7th Annual Conference, Vancouver, September 25, 2010.
- “Executive Compensation - Trends and Best Practices,” OCRI 45th Circuit, May 4, 2010.
- “Evidentiary, My Dear Watson,” Proving your case in 2010, new rules and all" (panellist), Employment Law Panel, Montebello Conference, 29th Civil Litigation Updated 2009 conference, Chateau Montebello, QC, November 20-21, 2009.
- “Workplace Violence and Harassment: Preparing for Ontario's New Legislation (Bill 168),” Lancaster House, Regional Workshop, Ottawa, November 12, 2009.
- “Golden Parachutes in a Downturn: Challenges When Dismissing Senior Executives,” Employee Terminations Restructuring, Insight, Ottawa, September 22, 2009.
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Employment Law
- International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards 2012, Employment and Labour, Canada
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2013 - Labour and Employment Law
- Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada - Repeatedly recommended for Employment Law
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa, Western University and Algonquin College
- Member of the Board of Directors of a local not-for-profit charitable organization