Adrienne M. Blanchard
Adrienne Blanchard practises primarily in the areas of pharmaceutical, biologics, food, device and consumer goods regulation, with a focus on commercial matters and compliance of regulated products under the Food and Drugs Act as well as Canada’s Consumer Product Safety Act.
Ms. Blanchard is experienced in negotiating product distribution and other agreements. She represents clients in litigation matters and before regulatory bodies including Health Canada, the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, including product recalls. She is an experienced advisor on matters of privacy and access to information, as well as market access.
In her intellectual property practice, Ms. Blanchard advises on life cycle issues, including patent and data package exclusivities, as well as in the field of trade-marks, advising on a full range of prosecution matters, including trade-mark searching, preparing registrability opinions, prosecuting trade-mark applications and conducting trade-mark opposition matters before the Canadian Trade-marks Office.
Ms. Blanchard is a frequent speaker and author on life sciences issues, and has developed expertise in advising on the regulation of subsequent entry biologics from an innovator’s perspective.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1992
B.Comm., Dalhousie University, 1984
- Co-Chair, Drug Pricing and Reimbursement, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, June 11-12, 2012.
- “Life Sciences Regulatory Modernization in Canada,” Law Society of Upper Canada Certified CLE, Continuing Professional Development, Ottawa, September 29, 2011.
- “Subsequent Entry Biologics: Interchangeability and Substitution in Canada and Elsewhere,” Roundtable on Safely Managing New Choices in Canada Healthcare, Vancouver, September 27, 2011.
- Co-Chair, Drug Pricing and Reimbursement, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, June 14-15, 2011.
- “Canada - Subsequent Entry Biologics,” Biosimilars Conference, American Conference Institute, New York, June 7-8, 2011.
- “Subsequent Entry Biologics (SEBs),” Drug Patents Insight Conference, Toronto, May 2010.
- Chair, Drug Pricing and Reimbursement, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, June 16-17, 2009.
- “WTO General Council Decision on Access to Medicines,” Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, October 2008.
- “Progressive Licensing – Legal Issues,” Canadian Association of Professional Regulatory Affairs Annual Meeting, Ottawa, October 6, 2008.
- Chair, Product Life Cycle Management, The Canadian Institute, Ottawa, April 2008.
Rankings and recognitions
- Who’s Who Legal, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2012 - Leading lawyer in Life Sciences
Memberships and activities
- Health Advisory Board
- Subsequent Entry Biologics Task Force
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Issues Committee
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Past Chair, Intellectual Property Trade Policy Committee (1999-2009)